This is the project blog for Intermateriality:Redox. For more info, see "about."
Back in March the good folks over at the O'Donohue Family Stanford Educational Farm helped me start some indigo seedlings (two trays of 72 each), and then during the COVID shutdown Allison and Will transplanted them to a row out in the garden and tended them all the way to harvest! The photos below show… Continue reading processing plants
In recent weeks, since finishing the textile component of this work, I've had a new idea about how to bring the whole thing together. Last post I mentioned reading about shinto as I had been thinking about framing the entire piece as a sort of small shrine. Now however, wanting to feature the indigo shibori… Continue reading tokonoma
Here it is! Now to try to get it to dry flat and contemplate whether or not to give it a final wash. There's still a bit of loose indigo powder that's rubbing off on my fingers but I'm not sure I want to take the chance of having that migrate too much in a… Continue reading untied/unstitched
The cloth finally went in the indigo today -- five dips at five minutes each, then a final pH-neutralizing soak in vinegar water. The indigo vat as mixed was sitting at pH 12.5 so I added fructose to bring it down to 11.5. That's still high for dyeing silk but I figure my warp has… Continue reading dye day
After cutting my yardage off the loom and giving it a quick wet-finish, I spent some time trying to decide what "shape" it should take in the final work. I ended up deciding on a hanging double-width panel (with a "display" area for indigo shibori something like 27" square), with the remaining cloth to be… Continue reading Stitching; vat
Well. Some time has passed since that last post -- for the most part I've been tied up with a lot of writing (mainly for research funding proposals and grant management) and finishing up my winter quarter teaching. Of course we've now been hit (along with the rest of the world) by COVID-19, and here… Continue reading Shelter-in-place
Last weekend I decided to switch up the loom configuration to weave a different pattern. There's still a lot of warp left so I didn't touch anything about the threading, but I had picked this particular threading because it supported a pretty diverse range of patterns with different tie-ups. The re-tie to a new treadling… Continue reading Re-tie
Last week I found some time to perform some preliminary studies on a sample of indigo-dyed cotton fabric. I first took some representative optical microscope images to get a sense of the distribution of dye in the cotton fibers. Below left is an image at 103x and on the right an image at 1010x. System… Continue reading indigo up close
I really wanted to take advantage of the winter holiday break to get a solid start on the woven component(s) for this project, which meant choosing and preparing yarns, dressing the loom, starting the cloth, and getting into a steady groove to weave some yardage. After a whirlwind trip to Washington DC at the end… Continue reading ready set go…
I think I'm ready to start working on some cloth. Browsing through handweaving.net I found a set of drafts that share a 98-end threading (#63401, #63375, #61552, #60935, ...) that would provide a nice range of patterns in light color contrast for subsequent dyeing, although the tie-ups would need to be changed among them...